This novel approach helps students understand that diseases are rarely confined to one body system and challenges them to apply what they’ve learned to a range of diseases, rather than trying to memorize facts about specific conditions. In the process, they learn to think about pathophysiology in the same way practioners do in a clinical setting—by working from symptoms to the cause, rather than the other way around.
The 3rd Edition features much that is new including a new chapter on mental illnesses, new case studies in every chapter, and a wide range of new clinically-focused features.
- Updated Clinical models provide real-world examples of how pathophysiological concepts manifest themselves in the human body to help prepare students for practice.
- New Just-in-time review sections refer students to online student resources and remediation to refresh their understanding of prerequisite A&P and Microbiology material.
- New chapter-ending Case Studies (2-4 in every chapter) and related questions help students build critical thinking skills as they apply chapter material to real-world clinical scenarios.
- New! Pathology Up Close features provide more detailed coverage of the cellular and tissue changes that accompany disease.
- New! Clinical Practice features show students how they will apply what they are learning in real-world practice.
- A new Chapter 11 on altered mood, attention, and behavior disorders prepares students for the mental illnesses they will encounter in practice.
- Concept maps visually illustrate important interrelationships of key concepts, making it easy for students to visualize how things fit together.
- End-of-chapter learning tools include summaries, practice exam questions, and links to general web resources and chapter references.
- From the Lab boxes help students understand common laboratory procedures and results.
- Stop and Consider prompts challenge students to think beyond the information presented in the textbook.
- Discussion and Application sections in every chapter help students gauge their understanding of what they’ve studied.
- New! Links to online student resources are called out as appropriate to provide additional practice and review.
- Full-color figures and illustrations throughout the book clarify important concepts. An integrative case study at the end of the book helps students apply the complex pathophysiologic concepts they’ve learned to a common condition—diabetes mellitus.