This item is being sold by an Individual Seller and will not ship from the Online Bookstore's warehouse. The Seller must confirm the order within two business days. If the Seller refuses to sell or fails to confirm within this time frame, then the order is cancelled.
Please be sure to read the Description offered by the Seller.
Steven M. Cahn is Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at The City University of New York Graduate Center. He is the author or editor of more than sixty books. Most recently, he wrote Inside Academia: Professors, Politics, and Policies (2018) and Teaching Philosophy: A Guide (2018). Dr. Cahn is the editor of The World of Philosophy, Second Edition (OUP, 2018) and Exploring Philosophy, Sixth Edition (OUP, 2017).
Table of Contents
*=New to this Edition
1. Morality and Moral Philosophy, William K. Frankena
2. Crito, Plato
3. Phaedo, Plato
PART I: CHALLENGES TO MORALITY
* 4. Subjectivism, Julia Driver
5. God and Morality, Steven M. Cahn
6. The Challenge of Cultural Relativism, James Rachels
7. Right and Wrong, Thomas Nagel
8. Egoism and Moral Skepticism, James Rachels
9. Happiness and Immorality, Steven M. Cahn and Jeffrie G. Murphy
10. The Nature of Ethical Disagreement, Charles L. Stevenson
11. The Rationality of Moral Action, Philippa Foot
PART II: MORAL THEORIES
12. The Categorical Imperative, Immanuel Kant
13. A Simplified Account of Kant's Ethics, Onora O'Neill
14. Utilitarianism, John Stuart Mill
15. Strengths and Weaknesses of Utilitarianism, Louis P. Pojman
16. The Nature of Virtue, Aristotle
17. Virtue Ethics, Julia Driver
18. The Ethics of Care, Virginia Held
19. The Social Contract, Thomas Hobbes
20. A Theory of Justice, John Rawls
21. Gender Bias, Cheshire Calhoun
PART III: MORAL PROBLEMS
A. WORLD HUNGER
22. Famine, Affluence, and Morality, Peter Singer
23. A Reply to Singer, Travis Timmerman
* 24. Immigration: The Case for Limits, David Miller
* 25. Is There a Right to Immigrate? Michael Huemer
* 26. Racisms, Kwame Anthony Appiah
* 27. Sexism, Ann E. Cudd and Leslie E. Jones
* 28. Value and the Gift of Sexuality, Elizabeth Anderson
* 29. Taking Money for Bodily Services, Martha C. Nussbaum
* 30. Markets in Women's Sexual Labor, Debra Satz
31. Pornography, Oppression, and Freedom, Helen E. Longino
32. The Case Against Pornography: An Assessment, Joel Feinberg
* 33. Equality for Animals, Peter Singer
* 34. Speciesism and the Idea of Equality, Bonnie Steinbock
* 35. Getting Animals in View, Christine Korsgaard
36. Speaking of Animal Rights, Mary Anne Warren
G. THE ENVIRONMENT
37. Philosophical Problems for Environmentalism, Elliott Sober
* 38. Ethics and Global Change, Dale Jamieson
39. A Defense of Abortion, Judith Jarvis Thomson
40. On the Moral and Legal Status of Abortion, Mary Anne Warren
41. Why Abortion is Immoral, Don Marquis
42. Virtue Theory and Abortion, Rosalind Hursthouse
43. Active and Passive Euthanasia, James Rachels
44. The Intentional Termination of Life, Bonnie Steinbock
45. Death, Thomas Nagel
46. The Badness of Death, Shelly Kagan
K. THE MEANING OF LIFE
47. The Meaning of Life, Richard Taylor
48. Meaning in Life, Susan Wolf
49. Meaningful Lives, Christine Vitrano
50. The Trolley Problem, Judith Jarvis Thomson
51. Turning the Trolley, Judith Jarvis Thomson
52. Moral Saints, Susan Wolf
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.