Downloadable: 180 Days
Downloadable: 365 Days
Downloadable: 1460 Days
Downloadable: Lifetime Access
This item is being sold by an Individual Seller and will not ship from the Online Bookstore's warehouse. The Seller must confirm the order within two business days. If the Seller refuses to sell or fails to confirm within this time frame, then the order is cancelled.
Please be sure to read the Description offered by the Seller.
For the Student
The Foundations of Neural Development Companion Website contains a range of media and review resources to help students learn the material presented in each chapter of the textbook and to visualize some of the key processes discussed. The site includes the following resources:
* Chapter outlines
* Chapter summaries
* Animations: Detailed animations that cover some of the key processes presented in the textbook.
* Videos: Links to fascinating videos that demonstrate the processes and concepts of neural development.
* Flashcards: An easy way for students to learn and review the key terms introduced in each chapter.
* News Feed: A continuously-updated feed of links to science news articles relevant to neural developmental.
For Instructors (available to qualified adopters)
Instructor's Resource Library
The Foundations of Neural Development Instructor's Resource Library (available to qualified adopters) includes a variety of resources to aid you in the development of your course and the assessment of your students. The IRL includes the following.
* Textbook Figures & Tables: All of the figures (including photos) and tables from the textbook are provided as JPEGs, all optimized for use in presentations. Complex figures are provided in both whole and split versions.
* PowerPoint Presentations: A PowerPoint presentation containing all figures and tables, with titles and full captions, is provided for each chapter.
* Videos: A collection of fascinating segments from BBC programs that illustrate important concepts from the textbook.
* Test Bank: The Test Bank consists of a range of questions covering key facts and concepts in each chapter. Multiple-choice and short-answer questions are included, and all questions are ranked according to Bloom's Taxonomy and referenced to specific textbook sections.
* Computerized Test Bank: The Test Bank is provided in Blackboard's Diploma format (software included). Diploma makes it easy to assemble quizzes and exams from any combination of publisher-provided questions and instructor-created questions. In addition, quizzes and exams can be exported for import into many different course management systems, such as Blackboard and Moodle.
* Course Management System Support: The Test Bank is also provided in Blackboard format, for easy import into campus Blackboard systems. In addition, using the Computerized Test Bank, instructors can easily create and export quizzes and exams (or the entire test bank) for import into other course management systems, including Moodle, Canvas, and Desire2Learn/Brightspace.
S. Marc Breedlove, the Barnett Rosenberg Professor of Neuroscience at Michigan State University, has written over 130 scientific articles investigating the role of hormones in shaping the developing and adult nervous system, publishing in journals including Science, Nature, Nature Neuroscience, and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. He is also passionate about teaching--in the classroom, and in the greater community through interviews with the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and Newsweek, as well as broadcast programs such as All Things Considered, Good Morning America, and Sixty Minutes. He has active grant support from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the National Institute of Mental Health. Dr. Breedlove is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Association for Psychological Science.
Table of Contents
Prologue: The Rationalist Philosophers
Chapter 1. The Metazoans' Dilemma
CELL DIFFERENTIATION AND NEURAL INDUCTION
Chapter 2 . Coordinating Fates
DEVELOPMENT OF A BODY PATTERN
Chapter 3. Upward Mobility
NEUROGENESIS AND MIGRATION
Chapter 4. Seeking Identity
Chapter 5. Feeling One's Way
Chapter 6. Making Connections
SYNAPSE FORMATION AND MATURATION
Chapter 7. Accepting Mortality
Interlude: The Empiricists Strike Back
Chapter 8. Synaptic Plasticity
ACTIVITY-GUIDED NEURAL DEVELOPMENT
Chapter 9. Fine-Tuning Sensory Systems
EXPERIENCE-GUIDED NEURAL DEVELOPMENT
Chapter 10. Maximizing Fitness
SOCIALLY GUIDED NEURAL DEVELOPMENT
Epilogue: Immanuel Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.