New to This Edition
*Incorporates key advances in research, theory, and clinical practice.
*Chapters on additional applications: school consultation, pediatric feeding disorders, and telehealth services.
*Chapters on quantitative analysis of behavior (matching and behavioral momentum theory) and behavioral economics.
*Updated discussions of professional issues, ABA certification, and technology tools.
Cathleen C. Piazza, PhD, BCBA-D, is Professor in the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, and founding director of the Pediatric Feeding Disorders Program at Children’s Specialized Hospital in New Jersey. Dr. Piazza and her colleagues have examined various aspects of feeding disorders--among the most common health problems in children--and have developed a series of interventions to address them. Her research has established strong empirical support for applied-behavior-analytic interventions for feeding disorders. Dr. Piazza is a former editor of the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, past president of the Society for the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, and a Fellow of the Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI). She is a recipient of the Nathan H. Azrin Distinguished Contribution to Applied Behavior Analysis Award from Division 25 (Behavior Analysis) of the American Psychological Association and the Outstanding Mentor Award from the ABAI.
Henry S. Roane, PhD, BCBA-D, is the Gregory S. Liptak, MD, Professor of Child Development in the Department of Pediatrics at the State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical University. In this capacity, he serves as the Chief of the Division of Development, Behavior, and Genetics. Dr. Roane is also Chair of the Behavior Analysis Studies Program in the College of Health Professions at Upstate. He is Editor-in-Chief of Behavioral Development and an associate editor of the Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, and serves on the board of directors of the Society for the Experimental Analysis of Behavior. Dr. Roane has coauthored over 90 research articles, chapters, and books on the assessment and treatment of behavior disorders in children with autism and related disorders, and serves as a consultant to programs nationwide. A Fellow of the Association for Behavior Analysis International and a member of the Society for Pediatric Research, he is a recipient of the SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Faculty Service.
Table of Contents
1. Applied Behavior Analysis: History, Philosophy, Principles, and Basic Methods, Wayne W. Fisher, Rebecca A. Groff, & Henry S. Roane
II. Basic Principles and Concepts
2. Respondent (Pavlovian) Conditioning, John W. Donahoe & Rocío Vegas
3. Basic Operant Contingencies: Main Effects and Side Effects, A. Charles Catania
4. Schedules of Reinforcement, F. Charles Mace, Duncan Pritchard, & Heather Penney
5. Stimulus Control and Generalization, Joseph E. Spradlin, Jennifer L. Simon, & Wayne W. Fisher
6. Matching and Behavioral Momentum: Quantifying Choice and Persistence, Christopher A. Podlesnik, Corina Jimenez-Gomez, & Michael E. Kelley
7. Behavioral Economics: Principles and Applications, Iser G. DeLeon, Nathalie Fernandez, Kissel J. Goldman, Elizabeth Schieber, Brian D. Greer, & Derek D. Reed
III. Measurement, Design, and Methodological Issues
8. Defining and Measuring Behavior, SungWoo Kahng, Einar T. Ingvarsson, Anna M. Quigg, Kimberly E. Seckinger, Heather M. Teichman, & Casey J. Clay
9. Single-Case Experimental Designs, Nicole M. DeRosa, William E. Sullivan, Henry S. Roane, & Heather J. Kadey
IV. Behavioral Assessment
10. Identifying and Enhancing the Effectiveness of Positive Reinforcement, Valdeep Saini, Billie Retzlaff, Henry S. Roane, & Cathleen C. Piazza
11. Indirect Behavioral Assessments: Interviews and Rating Scales, Dana M. Gadaire, Michael E. Kelley, & Robert H. LaRue
12. Direct Observation, Rachel H. Thompson & John C. Borrero
13. Functional Analysis: History and Methods, Valdeep Saini, Wayne W. Fisher, Alison M. Betz, & Cathleen C. Piazza
V. Interventions for Increasing Desirable Behavior
14. Differential-Reinforcement Procedures, Jeffrey H. Tiger & Gregory P. Hanley
15. Building Complex Repertoires from Discrete Behaviors: Establishing Stimulus Control, Behavioral Chains, and Strategic Behavior, George H. Noell, Nathan A. Call, Scott P. Ardoin, & Sarah J. Miller
16. Teaching Verbal Behavior, Matt Tincani, Caio Miguel, Andy Bondy, & Shannon Crozier
17. Staff Training and Management, Dennis H. Reid, Niamh P. O'Kane, & Kenneth M. Macurik
VI. Interventions for Decreasing Problem Behavior
18. Developing Antecedent Interventions for Problem Behavior, Richard G. Smith
19. Developing Function-Based Extinction Procedures for Problem Behavior, Timothy R. Vollmer, Elizabeth Athens, & Jonathan K. Fernand
20. Developing Function-Based Reinforcement Procedures for Problem Behavior, Wayne W. Fisher, Brian D. Greer, & Kelly J. Bouxsein
21. Developing Function-Based Punishment Procedures for Problem Behavior, Dorothea C. Lerman & Lisa M. Toole
22. Token Economies, David Reitman, Kyle Boerke, & Areti Vassilopoulos
VII. Subspecialties in Applied Behavior Analysis
23. Behavioral Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder, Tiffany Kodak, Laura L. Grow, & Samantha C. J. Bergmann
24. Behavioral Pediatrics: Integrating Applied Behavior Analysis with Pediatric Medicine, Patrick C. Friman
25. A Behavior-Analytic Approach to Pediatric Feeding Disorders, Cathleen C. Piazza & Caitlin A. Kirkwood
26. Behavioral Approaches to Education, Brian K. Martens, Edward J. Daly III, John C. Begeny, & William E. Sullivan
27. Teacher Consultation in Behavioral Assessment and Intervention, Florence D. DiGennaro Reed, Lisa M. Hagermoser Sanetti, & Robin S. Codding
28. Teaching Safety Skills to Children, Raymond G. Miltenberger, Amy C. Gross, Diego Valbuena, & Sindy Sanchez
29. Behavior Analysis and Treatment of Drug Addiction: Recent Advances in Research on Abstinence Reinforcement, Kenneth Silverman, August F. Holtyn, Brantley P. Jarvis, & Shrinidhi Subramaniam
30. Behavioral Gerontology, Jonathan C. Baker, Linda A. LeBlanc, & Brian MacNeill
31. Telehealth and Applied Behavior Analysis, David P. Wacker, Kelly M. Schieltz, Alyssa N. Suess, & Scott D. Lindgren
32. Organizational Behavior Management, David A. Wilder & Nicole E. Gravina
VIII. Professional Issues in Applied Behavior Analysis
33. Behavior Analysis and Ethics, William O’Donohue & Kyle E. Ferguson
34. Professional Certification for Practicing Behavior Analysts, James E. Carr, Christine L. Ratcliff, Melissa R. Nosik, & James M. Johnston
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.