Downloadable: 180 Days
Downloadable: 365 Days
Downloadable: 1460 Days
Downloadable: Lifetime Access
This item is being sold by an Individual Seller and will not ship from the Online Bookstore's warehouse. The Seller must confirm the order within two business days. If the Seller refuses to sell or fails to confirm within this time frame, then the order is cancelled.
Please be sure to read the Description offered by the Seller.
The late E.D. Klemke was Professor of Philosophy at Iowa State University, where he taught for more than twenty years.
Steven M. Cahn is Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at the City University of New York Graduate Center. He is the author or editor of more than fifty books. Most recently, he authored Religion Within Reason (2017) and coauthored Happiness and Goodness (2015). Dr. Cahn is the editor of Exploring Ethics, Fourth Edition (OUP, 2016) and The World of Philosophy (OUP, 2016).
Table of Contents
*=New to this Edition
Preface to the Fourth Edition
Preface to the Third Edition
Preface to the Second Edition
Introduction. The Question of the Meaning of Life, E. D. Klemke
PART ONE. THE THEISTIC ANSWER
1. Leo Tolstoy: My Confession
2. Philip L. Quinn: The Meaning of Life According to Christianity
3. Emil L. Fackenheim: Judaism and the Meaning of Life
* 4. Christopher W. Gowans: The Buddha's Message
* 5. Henry Rosemont, Jr.: The Confucian Way
PART TWO. THE NONTHEISTIC ALTERNATIVE
6. Arthur Schopenhauer: On the Sufferings of the World
7. Bertrand Russell: A Free Man's Worship
8. Moritz Schlick: On the Meaning of Life
9. Albert Camus: The Myth of Sisyphus
10. Kurt Baier: The Meaning of Life
11. Paul Edwards: The Meaning and Value of Life
12. Richard Taylor: The Meaning of Life
13. Thomas Nagel: The Absurd
14. Joel Feinberg: Absurd Self-Fulfillment
15. E. D. Klemke: Living Without Appeal: An Affirmative Philosophy of Life
PART THREE. QUESTIONING THE QUESTION
16. John Wisdom: The Meanings of the Questions of Life
17. Robert Nozick: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
18. Susan Wolf: Meaning in Life
* 19. Christine Vitrano: Meaningful Lives
* PART FOUR. THE END OF LIFE
* 20. Thomas Nagel: Death
* 21. Bernard Williams: The Makropulos Case: Reflections on the Tedium of Immortality
* 22. John Martin Fischer: Why Immortality Is Not So Bad 2
* 23. Samuel Scheffler: The Afterlife
* 24. Harry G. Frankfurt: How the Afterlife Matters
* 25. Susan Wolf: The Significance of Doomsday
About the Contributors
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.