This item is being sold by an Individual Seller and will not ship from the Online Bookstore's warehouse. The Seller must confirm the order within two business days. If the Seller refuses to sell or fails to confirm within this time frame, then the order is cancelled.
Please be sure to read the Description offered by the Seller.
Multicultural Law Enforcement : Strategies for Peacekeeping in a Diverse Society, 5/e explains how the influences of culture, race, and ethnicity impact law enforcement and the communities they serve. Known for its breadth of coverage, this classic text addresses a variety of populations and includes new material on the mentally ill, the homeless, gangs, immigrants, Native Americans, multiracial groups, and cross-cultural communications styles.
Using cases, guidelines, and protocols, it focuses on the contact police officers and civilian employees have with the community and stresses the importance of cultural awareness, understanding and respect.
New! Includes new material on:
- Documented and undocumented immigrants
- Racial profiling
- Recruitment and retention of women and minorities
- Sexual orientation and law enforcement
- Native Americans
- Multiracial census groups and more!
Table of Contents
PART I: IMPACT OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY ON LAW ENFORCEMENT
1. Multicultural Communities: Challenges for Law Enforcement
2. The Changing Law Enforcement Agency: A Microcosm of Society
3. Multicultural Representation in Law Enforcement: Recruitment, Retention, and Promotion
4. Cross-Cultural Communication for Law Enforcement
PART II: CULTURAL SPECIFICS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT
5. Law Enforcement Contact with Asian/Pacific Americans
6. Law Enforcement Contact with African Americans
7. Law Enforcement Contact with Latino/Hispanic Americans
8. Law Enforcement Contact with Arab Americans and Other Middle Eastern Groups
9. Law Enforcement Contact with Native Americans
PART III: MULTICULTURAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ELEMENTS IN TERRORISM AND DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
10. Multicultural Law Enforcement and Terrorism, Homeland Security and Disaster Preparedness
PART IV: RESPONSE STRATEGIES FOR CRIMES MOTIVATED BY HATE/BIAS AND RACIAL PROFILING
11. Hate/Bias Crimes: Victims, Laws, Investigations, and Prosecutions
12. Hate/Bias Crimes: Reporting, Monitoring, and Response Strategies
13. Racial Profiling
PART V: CULTURAL EFFECTIVENESS FOR PEACE OFFICERS
14. Community Policing and Multicultural Response Strategies for Gangs, the Homeless and the Mentally Ill
15. Emerging Strategies, Roles, and Technology for Peace Officers in Multicultural Law Enforcement
APPENDIX A: MULTICULTURAL COMMUNITY AND WORKFORCE: ATTITUDE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
APPENDIX B: CULTURAL DEVERSITY SURVEY: NEEDS ASSESSMENT
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.