The Vatican and Catholic Activism in Mexico and Chile The Politics of Transnational Catholicism, 1920-1940by Andes, Stephen J. C.
Downloadable: 180 Days
Downloadable: 365 Days
Downloadable: 1460 Days
Downloadable: Lifetime Access
This item is being sold by an Individual Seller and will not ship from the Online Bookstore's warehouse. The Seller must confirm the order within two business days. If the Seller refuses to sell or fails to confirm within this time frame, then the order is cancelled.
Please be sure to read the Description offered by the Seller.
The Vatican and Catholic Activism in Mexico and Chile applies research on the interwar papacy, which is almost exclusively European in outlook, to a Latin American context. The national cases presented illuminate how Catholicism shaped public life in Latin America as the Vatican sought to define Catholic participation in Mexican and Chilean national politics. It reveals that Catholic activism directly influenced the development of new political movements such as Christian Democracy, which remained central to political life in the region for the remainder of the twentieth century.
Randall Fuller is the Chapman Professor of English at the University of Tulsa.
Table of Contents
1. Vatican Policy & Political Catholicism in Latin America before 1920
PART I: THE VATICAN & MEXICO IN THE 1920s
2. Catholic Activism in Revolutionary Mexico, c. 1920-1925
3. The Vatican & Mexico's Cristero Rebellion, 1926-1929
PART II: THE VATICAN & CHILE IN THE 1920s
4. A Transnational Triangle: The Vatican, Chilean Catholics, & Mexico's Cristero Rebellion
5. Precursors to Chilean Christian Democracy, c. 1920-1930
PART III: CONTESTING CATHOLIC ACTION
6. The Vatican & Mexican Lay Activists after the Cristero Rebellion
7. The Vatican, Chilean Conservatives, & Social Catholics in the 1930s
8. A Convergence in Rome: The 1933 Iberoamerican Congress
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.